Everybody knows that roulette is a casino table game that is based on good luck. There are no tips on how to forecast the outcome of a spin. But, a gambler can try to control the process by choosing the best roulette bet. There are generally known strategies based on the numbers and the ways to bet on them. In this article, we are going to discuss playing styles and bankrolls to build the most efficient strategy. Let’s start!
Best Roulette Strategy with Different Variants
Before we tell you about the best bets in roulette, we want to look at the most popular strategies that will help you win. So, there are three fundamental systems, and you can try all of them and decide which is the most comfortable strategy for you.
The Martingale System
It is a negative progression system. You can easily apply it and improve your chances of getting high profits. But it does not ensure that you’ll win every time you bet.
You do not need to have strong math skills to follow this concept. It is suggested that you should double your stake following a loss.
For instance, you have wagered $50 and lost. Now, you should place a bet of at least $100 and count on high odds of winning.
The key disadvantage of this strategy is that it becomes very expensive if you hit bad luck and continue losing. The point is that you should keep doubling the lost amount every time until you win. Nevertheless, the Martingale System is supposed to be the most popular roulette strategy today.
The Paroli System
It is a positive progression system. The main idea is to increase the bet after each win. When you lose, it is recommended to keep the stake. Repeat it until you win, and then double your bet.
For instance, you have wagered $50 and lost. You should bet $50 again. If you win, you should continue, betting $100. If you win once more, you should wager $200 and continue in this manner. However, you’d better follow the experts’ opinion and repeat increasing only three times in succession.
The D’Alembert System
It is a negative progression system. You can compare this strategy with the Martingale one. But here you should add a unit to the stake after a losing bet (while Martingale supposes doubling the stake). If you win, you are expected to decrease the stake. It is developed for even bets when there is a chance of winning close to 50%. It is possible to hit the loss limit under unlucky circumstances.
For instance, you have wagered $5 and lost. Take the amount of this bet as a unit and increase each of your bets by this unit until you win. It means that your second stake will be $10, your third stake will be $15, and so on. When you win, your next bet should be equal to the amount of the previous stake reduced by this unit ($5).
Now that you have dealt with the basic strategies, let’s move on to the next important question—the types of roulette. Your chances of winning depend on these factors too.
What Type of Roulette is the Best for Bettors?
There are three types of roulette based on the national peculiarities of this game.
This is the basic version, which is used in most global casinos. Here, the roulette wheel includes 36 numbers and a zero, which is green in color. You can count on a house edge of 2.70 and odds equal to 1/37.
Here, the roulette wheel includes 36 numbers. It has one zero, which is green in color. All the numbers are white here. But there is a difference in the rules. There are two of them:
- La Partage is intended for even-money bets. If the ball lands on a “zero”, all the even money bets are lost. However, the casino does not take them all. The dealer divides them in half. 50% is returned to a player, while the remaining 50% is kept by the casino. As a result, the house edge for this variation is reduced to 1.35% (if the rule is not indicated, it is equal to 2.70%).
- En Prison is also intended for even-money bets, but it is a little bit more complicated. After the ball lands in the “zero” slot, all bets are marked by the dealer and cannot be drawn out. The player has to continue gambling with the same stake. If a player wins next time, betting on “even,” he gets the entire amount of his bet back, but he does not receive any winning prize. Mathematically, the house edge is similar to the above and equals 1.35%. However, it may seem that this rule is more favorable. There are additional options that one must further define in a casino. For instance, “zero” comes several times in a row.
So, there are two ways to continue playing when the ball lands in the zero slots. You can get 50% of the bet back immediately, or you have to leave your bet in prison until the next spin. In various online casinos, one of the rules can be set by default. It is usually suggested that the gamblers change the option if they prefer indicating the other rule.
French roulette provides players with better betting opportunities.
Here, the roulette wheel includes 36 numbers and 2 “zero” slots, which are green in color. The set of rules is different too. The house edge here is much higher compared to the above versions and equals 5.26%. It makes sense, as the odds are 1/38, while the payouts, in case you win, will be 35/1 (if you place a bet on a single slot).
It is obvious that French roulette comes with the best terms. However, American roulette provides opportunities connected with the “00” slot, which can bring large winnings.
Now, let’s consider the odds, which can result in winnings.
How to Calculate Roulette Odds?
Once again, on a roulette wheel, there are 37 slots (in European or French roulette) and 38 slots (in American roulette). But, in both cases, there are 36 figures.
If your bet covers the only slot, you should divide the number of slots by 1. If you cover more slots, divide it by the number of slots covered by your stake. Then, you should subtract the number of slots covered by your bet from the quotient you get.
You place a bet on any single number. To calculate your odds, take the following steps:
So, the odds are 35:1, meaning that for every dollar wagered, you will receive 35 dollars in prize money. If your bet is equal to $10, then your prize will be $350. The payout will be $360 ($350+$10).
How to Bet in Roulette and Win?
The above calculation is a simple example, but you will hardly bet on a single slot only. So, what roulette bets are the most favorable? Let’s consider the most common of them.
There are two key types of bets: inside and outside ones. The former is about betting on the numbered section of the roulette table, choosing from 1 to 36. The latter is about betting on groups of numbers that are located outside of the layout.
Odds on Outside Bets
It is considered that the outside bets are safer as they allow a player to win more often, providing more chances. As in any gamble, the payouts are inversely related to the risk. It means that if you have more chances to win, the prize will be smaller. What are the variants of the outside bets?
- Dozens Bet – this is the 2:1 bet covering the 12 numbers on the wheel. The order of the numbers is determined by the rule. You should bet on the figures from 1 to 12, or from 13 to 24, or from 25 to 36. This solution is not perfect for experienced players, but it can be used by beginners to reduce losses.
- Odd or Even Bet – this is the 1:1 bet, which is very simple and quite efficient. You should place a bet on the odd or even. The risk is higher here compared with the above types, but still, the opportunity to win is high. If it is applied to European or French roulette, the odds of winning are half-and-half. But, if American roulette is selected, the probability is lower because of the two “zero” slots.
- Red or Black Bet – this is a 1:1 bet, just like the above one. But, here, you have to bet on the red or black instead of the odd or even. In other words, it is suggested that you guess the color of the next winning slot. There are sections of the roulette table with corresponding colors. This is a nice option, though the loss risk is increased because of the green 0 and 00 slots.
- High or Low Bet – another 1:1 bet is related to high and low options. You are to cover half of the numbers on the roulette wheel, choosing the section from 1 to 18 (the low belt) or the section from 19 to 36 (the high bet). Again, the “zero” slots involve risk. We recommend applying the Martingale system if you want to capture the full benefits of this type of betting.
Odds on Inside Bets
It is considered that inside bets provide a player with bigger winnings. Of course, the risk is higher. Here you place a bet on a single number or any combination of them, including columns and rows.
- Straight Up Bet – if you place a stake on any number, it will be a straight-up bet. There are no restrictions. You can choose any number at random or cover multiple numbers if the funds permit.
- Corner Bet – if you bet on four numbers, making a square, you place a corner bet, or the so-called 8:1 bet. If the ball lands on any of these eight numbers, you win. There are crosses with a place for a bet in the middle.
- Split Bet – if you bet on two adjacent numbers, you place a split bet or the so-called 17:1 bet. On the roulette table, there is a vertical or horizontal line separating two numbers, which should be used for your chips to place a bet. It is recommended that you combine it with straight-up bets to increase your winning chances.
- 5-Number Bet – if you bet on 0, 00, 1, 2, and 3 (it is available only for American roulette), you place a 5-number bet or the so-called 6:1 bet. We do not recommend this betting strategy as here the winning chances are only 13.16%, while the house edge is large.
- 6-Number Bet – if you bet on the rows containing 1, 2, 3, and 4, 5, 6, you place a 6-number or 6-line bet. In this case, you cover two adjacent rows, each consisting of the three numbers mentioned above. It allows for covering a specific section of the roulette table.
- Street Bet – if you bet on one of the 12 streets on the roulette table, you place a street bet (11:1). This street is the row of numbers. Just place your bet on the edge of a chosen row.
How to Improve Your Odds to Beat Roulette?
You should know that nobody can prove the profitability of the above-listed inside or outside bets. But the gamblers still apply the systems and strategies to increase their winning chances. They combine various betting types every time or just stick to their favorite strategy.
You can try all our tips, and we are sure they will help you succeed. However, roulette is a game of chance. The ball lands in accordance with the random number generator’s choice. In order to ensure that you consider all issues in order to get the largest possible prize, consider some simple recommendations. Let’s have a look at them.
Do Your Research and find a reputable casino
The reputation of casinos is of importance. You should do some research and find the most popular and reliable online gambling sites. Then, sort out the best from the best, considering the gambling terms, odds, and diversity of roulette versions, additional options, and bonuses. Our reviews will help you!
Play Online on the Free Tables
If you are a beginner, find a free offer and play without worrying about losing. You can understand the rules and practice the skills or strategies.
There are lots of online casinos providing access to all types of roulette. You can get a proper experience. Also, you can start with a real online casino, using a welcome bonus offer that provides you with casino money for the first time.
Read the terms of such an offer carefully because there are rules which restrict the use of this deposit and the withdrawal of your winning prize if you are lucky enough to get it.
Define your budget and Play the Plan
It is vital to define the bankroll and set the loss limits. You should develop your strategy and be ready to stop if gambling brings more losses than you can afford. You should be ready to lose the amount that you indicate without trying to recover the loss.
Of course, you should hope for the winnings. If you get experience and understand the above rules and systems, you will definitely succeed.
Roulette is based on good luck only and cannot be predicted for sure. You should remember this and fix a threshold that should not be exceeded.
The following concept may help you put it into effect. Just agree that you place your bets solely and exclusively in order to have fun, but not in order to win at any cost. Divide your money budgeted for gambling into some portions and decide that your maximum bet will be 5% of your entertainment funds.
Besides, we recommend reading more about gambling strategies that will greatly impact your win rate.
Play European Roulette When You Can
We believe that our article allows you to understand that European roulette is much more profitable. So, if you can, prefer this type of roulette game. Let’s remember the key reasons for such a preference:
- European roulette comes with a single “zero” slot on the wheel instead of the two “zero” slots that American wheels contain, reducing your payouts.
- The house edge is larger if you play American roulette, in whatever casino you choose, and in whatever type of bet you place. Just compare. The house edge for a European game is 2.6%. And you can reduce it by choosing the particular rules. The house edge on American roulette is 5.2%.
Never Play the 5 Number Bet
Though we have already submitted our comments as to this bet type, we’d like to highlight the issue again. It is highly recommended to refuse to place the “5 number” bets (do not confuse it with a bet on an individual number “5”). This option is available in American roulette. So, if you follow our previous advice, you will not find yourself facing a choice.
But if there are reasons to play American roulette (for instance, you can gamble in Las Vegas, where all casinos provide you with a single version only – it’s not hard to guess which one), you’d better resist the temptation to try this strategy. Just remember that the odds here are 7.9%.
When you are starting to play roulette, you should know the basics of the game. There are various types and rules to learn in order to understand the traps and pitfalls. You should also be familiar with all the aspects and potential of the game in order to benefit from it and make a lot of money. Regardless of its random nature, you can influence the outcome by employing a variety of strategies.
You can choose the most favorable terms and place the most profitable bets. Decide on your risk tolerance and try corresponding strategies.
- If you are ready to risk for the higher prize, stick to inside bets, but do not forget to set your loss limits to avoid undesirable and uncontrolled waste.
- If you want to reduce the risk and get small payouts, choose the outside bets, which are much safer.
- If possible, always prefer European and French Roulette over American Roulette.
Anyway, enjoy this entertainment, as this is the key reason for gambling!
What hits the most in roulette?
You might be surprised, but a lot of players believe that there are lucky numbers in roulette, and the experienced dealers will prove this contradiction. Most players place their bets on 17. This number is used for some historical wagers resulting in huge wins. We can speak about a kind of magic here, but this is a fact that has no mathematical or logical grounds. In short, you can try the following lucky numbers: 17, 7, 23, and 24.
What are the differences between American, European, and French roulette?
The key difference is the number of slots. The European and French roulettes have 37 slots, including 36 numbers and one “zero”. The American roulette wheel has an additional “zero” slot (00), and that results in an increased total number of slots (38 in total). This peculiarity interferes with the house edge. You will give 2.70% for playing European or French roulette, and 5.26% for playing American roulette. There are rules which can reduce the house edge to 1.35%.
What color comes up more in roulette?
There are three colors on the wheel. They are red, black, and green. The “zero” slot (or slots) comes in green. The numbers are marked with red and black on a 50/50 basis. It is clear the ball lands on black or red slots more frequently than on green ones.
Does Red or Black hit more on roulette?
The chances are equal as the roulette wheel contains 18 black and 18 red slots. So, if you want to increase your winning chances, you should develop a more complicated strategy, which will be based on various betting types and not just on the color of the pocket.
Is roulette a skill or luck?
From the outset, the game is developed with the use of the random number generator. That is why you can rely on your luck when playing roulette. However, you can apply strategies and tips to improve your winning chances. If you want to keep the process under control and impact the outcome, you should consider blackjack and poker, which require skills from a player.
Be ready to learn much more, remember a lot of information, and make the right decisions. In roulette, you can follow the recommendations of experienced players to get the most from this gamble. Consider the top casino games and choose the one you like.