Purchasing lottery tickets is extremely easy, but knowing how to choose lottery numbers to improve the odds of winnings is the real catch. Not everyone is prepared and knows what combinations are better and how to avoid the main mistakes in the lottery. Fortunately, all those tips can be reunited in a summarized manner, in a complete guide.
Essential Tips to Choose the Right Lottery Numbers
The first step in understanding how to choose lottery numbers is to avoid methods or unconscious decisions that most people make. After all, doing that alone increases the odds of receiving a larger prize and avoids the frustration of knowing a certain combination was a bad choice.
Whenever purchasing new lottery tickets and before trying to predict the lottery winning numbers, keep in mind you should not:
- Use any combinations that most people take, regardless of the reason behind it. Examples: birthday dates, usual lucky numbers (e.g., 7), memorable dates (e.g., 9/11).
- Select sequential numbers. Not because they are less likely to be drawn, but because several people will choose them too. Example: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6.
- Avoid any numbers because of superstition. Examples: 13 or 4.
The only clear reason not to put those actions into practice is simple: jackpots and low-tier prizes would be shared with thousands of other players. In other words, when you do not choose the right lottery numbers, you play with the same odds and might end up with a much smaller prize.
What Are the Best Methods to Choose Lottery Numbers?
There is not one single method that is the best among all, but players can choose lottery numbers based on one that matches their preferences. Regardless of what choice you make, keep in mind the odds are equal for every combination in all official lottery games.
Choose Lottery Numbers by their Frequency
The most popular method used by players who want to know how to choose lottery numbers that make them feel lucky is based on their frequency. For those who already know the most popular lottery strategies, the concept of hot and cold numbers is nothing too different.
By accessing the history of results on any lottery game, players can figure out the numbers that came out more often. The method is based on the belief that those numbers are really more recurrent and, therefore, there would be a greater chance of winning when choosing them.
Called “hot” numbers, the most frequent numbers of each lottery game can all be played together or mixed in a pool of possibilities. It is up to each player to decide how to choose the most probable lottery numbers. As an extra resource, we forward the most frequent numbers of popular lottery games in 2023:
- Powerball: 24 14 5 4 9 + 16
- Mega Millions: 44 50 53 67 68 + 24
- Euromillions: 20 23 27 15 39 + 2
- Lotto 6/49: 45 23 38 24 48 4 + 5
- SuperEnaLotto: 85 55 82 90 77 86 + 49 (Superstar) + 26 (Jolly Number)
In addition, players can also go deeper and figure out the less frequent results, called “cold numbers”. As part of their strategy, players can choose lottery numbers that mix both hot and cold numbers, believing that will enhance their odds. Considering that the hottest numbers tend to vary as weeks pass by, they are not always part of the results.
The Delta System
As analyzing the frequency is quite simple, we added the Delta System as a more complex method for those who prefer to use math to choose lottery numbers. Although it takes more time, the complexity of the Delta method is not necessarily connected to being harder. It only takes more time and goes as follows:
- Choose a low number between 1 and 5, with no correct answer at this point of the method.
- Now, choose two more numbers, this time between 1 and 8.
- The fourth number should be between 7 and 9. Do not worry, as you are not building your combination just yet.
- Choose two more numbers, between 8 and 15.
- Write down your sequence. For example, ours is:
1 – 3 – 6 – 7 – 12 – 15
- Sum all numbers, knowing that the result should never be higher than the maximum number in the lottery you play.
1 + 3 + 6 + 7 + 12 + 15 = 44
- Save the result number for later and rearrange all your six numbers in any way you want.
7 – 12 – 15 – 1 – 3 – 6
- That sequence is your final Delta number. The first one becomes your first lottery number.
- To generate your other lottery numbers, add the subsequent number to the first and then all the next numbers to the result. In our example:
7 + 12 = 19
19 + 15 = 34
34 + 1 = 35
35 + 3 = 38
38 + 6 = 44
- Therefore, in our example, our lottery combination for six numbers would be:
7 – 19 – 34 – 35 – 38 – 44
The Delta Method is one of those systems that give the player some idea of how to choose lottery numbers based on a structure, and not in complete randomness.
Quick Pick and Choosing Lottery Numbers
There are tools available to choose lottery numbers quickly. They are random and often offered by lottery websites. Since the odds remain the same in any case, they are efficient when players do not have the time to choose their lottery numbers.
However, playing them without checking the numbers might result in participating with popular numbers that will reduce the total prize in case of winning. Therefore, the most recommended action for those with a lack of time or energy to choose the lottery winning numbers by themselves is to combine quick pick with a manual check.
Extra Tips on Choosing the Right Lottery Numbers
- Avoid popular numbers like the plague, as they are more than likely to halve your prizes.
- There is no way to improve the odds of a draw through the numbers you choose, but you can benefit from winning the lottery alone.
- Choosing the lottery numbers according to their frequency is by far the most popular method after those who rely on the quick pick.
- Lucky numbers such as 7 and related are always picked by other people. Those are especially bad in low-tier prizes, as a lot of people have to share them.
- Numbers not based on special dates have a better chance of not sharing prizes.
- Always check the numbers generated by quick pick to eliminate numbers that are popular among people.
- Do not confuse popular numbers – those chosen by players – with frequent numbers – hot numbers that were drawn several times.
- Consecutive numbers are not recommended unless they are unobvious sequences.
Choose Your Lottery Numbers Smartly
Now you are ready to choose lottery numbers with the trusted lottery sites without falling into any of the major mistakes people make when they are playing. Regardless of you are applying a Pick 3 lottery strategy or trying to choose the winning 5 numbers of Powerball, those tips will help you out.
As far as people cannot interfere in the odds of a lottery game, they can make smart decisions like using our hints and choosing games with the best odds. Other than that, it is all about luck.